Birth Center Classes …
Ongoing classes are available at The Women's Health and Birth Center. Class fees are covered by MediCal
www.medi-cal.ca.gov and possibly by some insurance plans.
For more information on classes and events at the Women's Health and Birth Center, please call (707) 539-1544
- Registration Class
- This class is mandatory for those birthing in the Birth Center. It involves the informed consent process regarding the policies of the Birth Center, and discussion of the things that can help our staff support you in having the best labor & birth experience possible. Learn about the risk factors that may prevent you from birthing at the center, and how we deal with transfers when needed. Learn also about what to bring to the birth. We cover birth certificate information, registering for Sutter Hospital in case of emergency, and newborn testing and procedures.
The cost of this class is covered in payment plans and by MediCal. It is held every fourth Thursday night of the month in the Birth Center classroom.
- Childbirth Group Classes
- WHBC childbirth classes are sponsored by The Women's Health and Birth Center and are specifically designed for the needs of midwifery and Birth Center Clients.
These series of 4 classes are offered every six weeks. Please contact the office to sign up as class sizes are limited. The class meets from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm at the Birth Center classroom.
- Meet the Doulas Night
- Come explore the idea of having a doula support you during your birth. This class explains the benefits of doula support at birth and gives you the chance to meet local doulas. The class is free and is open to the public. It is held on the 2nd Wednesday of every month, 7:00 – 9:00 pm in the Birth Center classroom.
There is no charge for this class.
Interested in becoming a Doula? Click for Doula training information
Support Groups and Classes
- Postpartum & Infant Care Class
- This class is to help you to know how to take care of yourself and your newborn baby after your birth. Topics include self care after birth, warning signs, and normal postpartum baby blues. The class covers diapering, feeding, and bathing the newborn. Learn about the sleep wake cycles of your baby and the amazing talents of your newborn. MediCal will cover costs of this class.
This class meets monthly. Please contact the birth center to sign up as class size is limited.The class meets 7:00 to 9:00 pm in the Birth Center classroom.
- The Santa Rosa New and Expecting Parents Group
Come join other moms with babes newborn to one year old. Bring your mom-friends, your mom-neighbors, any moms you know! Are you interested in breastfeeding or baby weaning? So are we... come learn with us. Do you need a place to ask questions, get advice or just vent? That's what we are here for. Do you just need a couple of hours out of the house? The group meets on the first and third Thursdays of the month.
Click to see a photo of proud parents and beautiful babies at a recent group meeting.
Babies are unpredictable, so just come when you can.
The group meets at the Birth Center.
To find out more, please go to
- Breastfeeding Group Class
- This class is designed to teach couples about breastfeeding their baby. Class topics cover the benefits of
breastfeeding, milk supply, positioning, how to know baby is getting enough, pumping and storing milk, and
baby's growth spurts. MediCal will cover costs of this class.
This class meets monthly. Please contact the birth center to sign up as class size is limited. The class meets 7:00 to 9:00 pm in the Birth Center classroom.
- Lactation Clinic
- Need help or support with nursing your baby? Get answers and help at the Lactation Clinic, in an informal group setting.
Every Monday (except for holiday Mondays). Group/walk-in from 10:00 am until 12:00 noon.
(Note: No Lactation Clinic held on holiday Mondays
- La Leche League, Santa Rosa Chapter
La Leche League is an international mother-to-mother helping network and a valuable resource for parenting support. Attending meetings can help you learn about breastfeeding from other nursing mothers. At these monthly meetings, mothers share not only their questions and concerns, but also the benefits and joys of breastfeeding.
A series of four topics are discussed on a rotating basis throughout the year. At each meeting though, we strive to answer any concerns you may bring to that meeting, regardless of the title.
Feel free to come to a meeting at any time, whether you are pregnant, nursing, or just interested in learning more about breastfeeding. Our meetings are informal and babies are always welcome! Click to go to La Leche League of Northern California and Hawaii, Santa Rosa, Chapter.
Meetings are held the 1st Friday of every month, from 11:00 am – 12:30 pm. Babies are very welcome.